Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pre-baby Mini Vaca

We have lived in Georgia for almost 7 years now. During this time, I have been to Savannah at least 50 times (I used to have accounts there). A.J. had been there zero times. That was until October. We took a 3 day weekend and got away from it all. For those not it the know, October is a perfect time to enjoy Savannah. Most of the tourists are gone, hotels are easy to come by, and the weather is still warm enough to enjoy walks through the city or even a day on the beach at Tybee Island.

We stayed at the Doubletree right in the heart of downtown. We love this hotel because it is within walking distance of anywhere in the city. We started off the trip with lunch at Shang Thai and then strolled through City Market. I must admit that I was a little surprised by A.J.'s reaction. He absolutely fell in love with Savannah! Which is a good thing because it is one of my favorite places down here. Later in the evening we walked along River St. and enjoyed dinner at The Boar's Head. This restaurant is fantastic and the shrimp and grits aren't to be missed (but we are in the south and the same can be said about many places down here). After dinner I took A.J. to the Savannah Candy Kitchen. Let's just say it blew his mind. This is THE place to go to sample warm pralines, get some salt water taffy, or grab some after-dinner gelato. All in all, it was a great first day!

The next day, we drove out to Tybee Island, which is only about a 20 minute drive from town. The weather was perfect and the beach was almost deserted...my kind of beach day!


After the beach, we headed over to the Crab Shack. This place is an institution. Families head here because it's cheap, kid friendly, and has about 50 live alligators. I know...it sounds like a tourist trap. But the crab here is worth the trip. I recommend eating outdoors if possible. You can grab a table over looking the creek and if you're lucky you'll even see a manatee or two.


In case you don't know me that well, I live to shop. And that's exactly what I did once we got back into town. Broughton St. is the best shopping area that Savannah has to offer. I usually start at the top by Marc Jacobs and keep going until I reach the Paris Market. The Savannah Bee Company should not be missed as you can sample all of the honey, see how it is made, and find great goodies to take home to friends and family. I always have to stop by James Gunn. I love this store. She used to make some of the clothing herself but much to my dismay she has given that up. That being said, the store is always well stocked, beautifully merchandised, and the staff is super helpful. I can't ask for more! If you still haven't found what you're looking for on Broughton, just hike over to City Market. Be sure to checkout Paula Dean's store. Her restaurant is a bit over-rated but her store is stellar. If you're a chapstick fanatic like me, grab at least 6 tubes here. Trust me, you'll thank me!

We rounded out our trip with dinner at The Pink House. It's one of the oldest houses in the city and also rumoured to be one of the most haunted. Let's be honest though, every building in Savannah is rumoured to be haunted.
The dinner was amazing! Although it took a little longer than expected the food was well worth the wait. The menu changes seasonally but keeps some tried and true items year round like the BLT salad. Order this! It was featured on "Best Thing I Ever Ate" and now I know why! The service was impeccable and the atmosphere perfect for a cozy dinner for two. You'll definitely need reservations and if you'd like to have a more private table, just request it and they'll be happy to accomodate. It's easily become one of our favorite places to eat.


If you've never been to Savannah, you should definitely put it on your to-do list. No matter what you're into, there's something for everyone. And hands down, it is one of the best culinary experiences the South has to offer. I'm so glad A.J. loved it as much as I do. We can't wait to go back this Spring!

No comments: